Thursday, October 19, 2006

Cozy wristwarmers and matching scarf

The chilly Portland weather is starting to live up to its reputation. My little hands are starting to freeze on my morning bicycle commute. I thought about gloves or mittens, but I worry about not having enough dexterity/flexibility to brake suddenly when the inevitable SUV-driving soccer mom turns directly in front of me to make sure little Billy gets to his practice on time.

The perfect solution: Wristwarmers! And what are wristwarmers without a cozy matching scarf?



Materials:
Three colors TLC Amore. I used Lake Blue (A), Plum Print (B), and this dark red one I lost the tag for (C).
U.S. size 8 needles

Gauge:
About 4 stitches per inch

Instructions:

Left warmer

Cast on 30 stitches using A

Using A
Knit 2 rows
Switch to B
Knit 1 row
Purl 1 row
Switch back to A
Knit 2 rows
Switch to C
Knit 1 row
Purl 1 row

Repeat pattern 7 times.

When switching colors, carry the yarn up the side rather than breaking it off so you don't have a bunch of annoying ends to weave in. You may want to twist the yarn together when changing colors to keep the edges neater.

Bind off 9 stitches at the beginning of the next row. This is the space for your thumb.

Repeat pattern one more time.

Bind off loosely.



Right warmer

Work exactly as the left warmer, except once you have repeated the pattern 7 times knit all the way across the next row (RS). Then bind off 9 stitches when you knit back on the WS row.
This will ensure that your seam is on the bottom of the warmer where it will be less noticeable.


Finishing:

Sew up the sides until you get to the thumb hole.

Make sure to leave the hole open and sew up the remaining edge.




Scarf:

Cast on 15 stitches.

Work in pattern until you reach the desired length.

The scarf will want to curl at the edges and will end up very narrow. You may want to cast more stitches for a wider scarf, but I like my skinny-mini one.



Oh, and Holly likes it too!

4 comments:

Kevin said...

I haven't in a few years, but I bought a few needles (one set, and a package of double-poitns) last weekend, and I'm going to start practicing again.

I'm a very strange nerd.

Cynthia Knits said...

This is just the pattern I have been looking for. I am going to try it very soon.

fmcesl said...

I'm going to knit your wrist warmers, thanks! When knitting scarf add 2 stitches on each end of every row. Knit those stitches on every row. This will form a selvage and the scarf will not curl. Happy knitting!!

missrochelle said...

Knitting patten is great but.... Is Holly a forest cat? She looks ALOT like mine. I actually sent pics to my friends and they thought it was my cat!! Beautiful girl she is. Torbies are rare. Did you get her in bout 2002?